In an effort to check one last item off my (our) Bucket List for 2010, my boyfriend and I decided to make our own sushi the other night. Aside from being a simply fabulous date night, the end product was actually pretty good! (Yes, the glorious sushi roll pictured above is in fact one of my own creations.)
Lucky for me, he knows me far too well, and bought me a Shirakiku Roll Your Own Sushi! Kit for the holidays. After that, all we needed to do was buy the fresh ingredients of our choice.
It was cheaper than eating out in a sushi restaurant (a total of around $30) and so much fun to do! I would definitely recommend giving it a try.
I shall call it...the j.cole roll. Enjoy!
Crab stick (imitation crab meat)
Sushi rice (short grain rice specifically for sushi)
Bamboo sushi mat
Small bowl of water
- Cut all ingredients in long, thin strips.
- Place Nori on bamboo sushi mat, lining up the edges closes to you.
- Dab your fingers in water, and smooth drops over the Nori. Do NOT soak your Nori - wet it just enough so that it is not cracking.
- Scoop a generous portion of sushi rice on to the bottom half of the Nori, and begin patting out evenly with your fingers. Make sure at least 50-60 percent of the Nori is covered in a fairly thick layer of rice.
- Smooth a half-inch wide layer of cream cheese over a portion of the rice.
- Add other ingredients on to cream cheese layer.
- Fold over bamboo mat and Nori, creating the form of the roll, and squeeze together so it sticks. After that, remove the bamboo mat and roll the rest manually.
- Once fully rolled, place bamboo mat over roll and squeeze again to get the best circular form.
- Slice with a wet, sharp knife.
j.cole (your sushi-loving twenty-something)